View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #192 (permalink)
Stosh Rickles
Base Member

Drives: 370Z Touring/Sport
Stosh Rickles is on a distinguished road

FYI, I just got mine resolved... here's how the process/timeline went down:

July: Brought the car into a dealer to confirm the issue. The tech could not hear anything and said Nissan Corporate has no record of such an issue. I asked them if the could put another tech in the car since it's not something everyone can hear, but they felt it wouldn't make a difference. They suggested I contact Nissan Consumer Affairs if I was unsatisfied with the decision.

August: I contacted Nissan Corporate Consumer Affairs and notified them of the issue. They sided with the dealer and stated that if the dealer can't identify the problem, they have no reason to continue the investigation. I expressed my displeasure with that line of thinking both on the phone and via the survey I received after the fact. No one contacted me to follow up, so I assumed I was screwed and gave up.

October: I got extremely lucky and randomly met a guy who works at Nissan Corporate and he quickly sent my issue over to the tech engineering team. They pushed the issue internally and I soon got a call from someone in customer service who set up an appointment for me to send the car back to the same dealer who said the issue didn't exist.

November: The dealer had the car for the day, and called me to confirm that they could indeed hear the issue and agreed it was the ECU. They got the part in, and I just picked the Z up last night to find that the noise is gone and the service report reads, "Install & Program Update ECU."

Based on the experience, my impression is that there are probably plenty of people at Nissan who individually care about resolving this issue once they hear it exists, but as a corporation, Nissan is aware of the issue and wants to pretend it does not exist. I don't see how else the same exact dealer who saw no issue originally would, on second attempt, need only a few hours to confirm the issue and correctly identify its source.
Stosh Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote