View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
370guy
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370+Viper+Vette=Fast
370guy is on a distinguished road

Ok, I had a GT500 before my Z and have tried every fuel possible. Heres What ive found.

Basics of higher octane, allows you to safely run more advanced timing without the fear of detonation. So it is more valuable on forced induction cars than NA builds because the FI have more to gain off timing changes. So now to the options

1. E85. corn fuel. Its cheap and has and advanced level of octane far exceeding regular pump gas. Advantages = more timing, more power, CHEAP! Disadvantages = very VERY corrosive, upgraded fuel lines, pumps fitting, and injectors required. hard on motor, hard to come by in some places

2. C16. 116 octane. come in 2 variants, leaded and non-leaded. non leaded required by cars WITH catalytic convertors. Advantages = BIG power, smells awesome (opinion i guess), basic fuel system upgrades required Disadvantages = Very Expensive, Terrible economy

3. 100 octane. sold in some gas stations same advantges as above but with basic tuning can be run on stock fuel system.

Know for the curve ball!!!
Methanol Injection! allows you to run advanced timing on pump gas! basically increases the effective of octane of what ever is in the tank. Advantages = Its washer fluid so its cheap! Horsepower. Disadvantages = Seperate methanol system required for us (pumps, lines, tanks etc...) when you run out car can bnecome unsafe (if its tuned for the Meth and it doesnt get it you have problems)

So in conclusion (sorry fo rthe long post) there are advantages and disadvantages for all fuels. You gotta choose whats right for you. But as a rule of thumb, NA cars dont need to super high octane 91-93 is generally good enough
370guy is offline   Reply With Quote