View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Methodical4u
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 11 370 6mt pw w/sp
Methodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the roughMethodical4u is a jewel in the rough
Default Do most of us need radiators more than we thought?

I was looking around last night and bored and came across an interesting article on engine cooling and such.

I will just post what I found which is here Engine Cooling | Coolant Performance | Radiator Additive

For those who don't want to go through several pages of reading however, it says

"This means that heat load to the cooling system at rated power (Usually expressed in BTUs per minute) is approximately equal to the rated power of the engine expressed in BTUs per minute (HP X 42.4 = BTU/minute). From this we can see that if an engine is modified to increase its horsepower, the load to the cooling system will also increase. In fact, the heat load to the cooling system will increase by about the same percentage as the increase in engine horsepower. So, if we increase the engine horsepower by 20 percent, we can expect an increase of about 20 percent in the heat load to the cooling system."

In a nutshell, a lot of the power we are gaining through mods, we are losing through engine head... we all certainly know already how hot the oil gets in these things, every little bit could help right?
Methodical4u is offline   Reply With Quote