View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
370guy
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 370+Viper+Vette=Fast
370guy is on a distinguished road

OK im new to this forum but ive had alot of high horsepower cars and may be able to help.

I just installed the topspeed exhaust you were talking as well and the advantage of the single pipe is the car will have more back pressure thus making more torgque down low. On cars in general, when you make a reduction in back pressure you lose torque downlow. However, on the flipside of that, you gain more horsepower up top with a more free flowing dual.

So the question is, what are your plans for the car? If you ever plan on going forced induction you will need to have a true dual setup because of the increased airflow. With that much more air coming into the motor its going to need to go somewhere. my Previous car (before my Z) was an '09 GT500. that car was running 17lbs of boost so it needed to increased exhaust flow of a big open dual setup (also being a 5.4L V8, it didnt have torque issues haha) but our Z's being a high-reving 6 cylinder in my opinion need the torque. Torque is what you feel, torque is what you need and torque is what makes a car fun to drive. Its what gives you that "kick in the back" when you punch it.

So in my opinion, with a good high-flow car/test pipe, high flow Y and a single you would make ALMOST the same amount of power (equally modded of course) as someone with a dual setup. But again, this is just my 2 cents and im sure some people will think im completely wrong. Just remember, bigger isnt always better. Ill leave you with one last example. my shelby made 532 to the wheels witha full 3in. exhaust. BUT when i put a 2.75 car made 540 and almost 20 ft/lbs of torque more. The right setup is more important
370guy is offline   Reply With Quote