View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Toast
Base Member

Drives: 06 Nissan 350z NB M6
Toast is on a distinguished road

Well, look I don`t want to argue with you on your Trans-Am and whether it had any build quality issues - I haven`t driven one so can`t comment. And you`re right it depends upon the car; and right again that once long ago, roadsters were different from convertibles, were different from coupes. But its 2008 now and things are different, and I just want to make the broad point that you should never underestimate the power of suggestion.

Try this experiment: hand someone a glass of wine and ask them what they think of it. Then when they are halfway down the glass hand them the tasting notes that the experts have written - the bit that says it`s got strong fruit tastes, or maybe even figs and is a little over-oaked. Of course people are going to say "Oh yes, I can clearly pick out figs, no problem" because nobody wants to feel foolish or unrefined by having missed it.

Similar with car journalists. Try and find an article on a convertible (or roadster) that doesn`t open up with the old hard-top vs. rigidity thing. And so people imagine they can feel it in all sorts of cars that are built stiffer these days.

Your 0-60 isn`t a moot point by the way - if acceleration is all you want, buy a hard-top (or a faster car, even). For racing, like you (and I) said, that`s when you push a car to its limit - that`s when you`ll feel it. But not when you`re off to WalMart for the shopping.
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote