View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #177 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
read someone's post who had done a dyno test with the K&N SRI's, it made 6 whp on a heartbreaker dyno which would amount to I guess 9-10 whp on a standard dyno jet. Obviously that isn't the gains the G3's produce.. but if one were to do custom airboxes with a fang kit... what might that do? Though the price would be up there with the G3's by that time... you still may wind up with close to, or the same gains as the G3's.

Let's face it, cold air is what an intake is all about in the end... make it colder and make more power.
That's in the ball park for the tubes + high flow panel filters. I was just skeptical of the claimed difference for the G3's.

I'm less skeptical because I've recently found better evidence that it will make 8-10 more whp at various points in the rev range rather than 3-5, but in all probability the truth is probably somewhere in the middle (say, 6-8).

Anyway, because of that recent finding I've changed my conclusion on what price sounds (at least to me) reasonable for the difference in power one might hope to gain with the G3's over the modified stock set up (i.e. I used to say ~$250 was good deal, have changed that to ~$350 being a good deal -- retail is closer to $500!).

I still think bang for the buck, and ease of installation, you can't beat the panel filters and tubes, but the G3's defintely deserve more credit than I had been giving them (for whatever my 2 cents are worth to anyone...).

Regarding SRI's, I've seen more evidence that tend to either lose power or do no better than the modified OEM airbox, at least on this motor, and the underhood temps it produces.

Now with fang vents, you might see gains with an SRI on par with the G3's (that might be the ultimate bang for the buck arrangement), but, at least to my knowledge, that set-up remains largely untested.

Last edited by Jordo!; 10-25-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote