View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 02:16 PM   #56 (permalink)
kfscoll
Base Member

Drives: 09 370Z BS T/S/N 6MT
kfscoll is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCASA View Post
there is no such thing as self healing paint. factory paint is a very thin single stage. aftermarket paint jobs are usually a sealer/color(basecoat)/clearcoat which is far superior.
There absolutely is such a thing as self-healing paint (here's a link). My 2011 Infiniti G37x has it; Nissan only discontinued it for the '10 MY as they reworked the formulation. I don't know whether the '12 Zs have it but if they do there would be a sticker under the hood that says "Scratch Shield" on it.

Also, Zs do NOT have a single stage paint...they're all a basecoat/clearcoat formulation. The easiest way to prove this is to use some mild abrasive polish on your car. If the paint were single-stage, you'd see the paint's color appear on your rag as you polish. This definitely doesn't happen with the Z.

I can say from experience that the Scratch Shield paint is a royal pain to detail. It's very hard and only responds to certain polishes designed for hard and/or ceramic clearcoats (I use Menzerna polishes with some success). Even then it requires more work than a "standard" clear to remove defects. And I've yet to notice the self-healing feature actually work.