View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Mt Tam I am
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z T/S/N 6MT & XKE
Mt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond repute

As a former Z32TT owner from twinturbo.net, who now has an "09 touring sport with adjustable after market coil overs, I can offer an opinion.

OP:
Second car: '09 Touring w/Sport Package
While looking the car over before the test drive, I noticed that the previous owner had changed the OE struts to adjustable aftermarket ones (there are holes in the cargo area trim for access to the adjustment shaft). So I was curious to see how this car rode in comparison to the 40th Z.

RE:
The ride was more firm (closer to my TT), but it did jump around under moderate braking on uneven road surfaces. I didn't notice this on the 40th Z, but then again I didn't have to brake for a red light as suddenly during that test drive.

The ride on mine actually get better and I do not hop around. I hope this can be adjusted out.

RE:
On hard acceleration from a standstill, there was noticeably less rear squat.

Can not speak to this. I have an after market exhaust and maybe it makes a difference.

RE:
Freeway acceleration was the same as the 40th Z - you really hit a mental hardstop when you encounter what feels like resistance/reluctance from the engine to willingly rev higher than 5K. It's quite a contrast to my TT where it's smooth all the way up to the rev limiter.

I get good power all the way up to 7,000 rpm's without resistance.

I did not notice the odd clutch engagement as I noticed on the 40th Z.
There was a strange situation (at least to me) when driving the '09. We were taking an on-ramp to the freeway and just about the end of the on-ramp just before it straightened out, I accelerated up to about 7K rpm in 2nd gear and lost power. The engine didn't die but momentarily it would not go above idle speed no matter how far the accelerator pedal was pushed. It recovered and I started to accelerate normally and within seconds it happened again. I coasted off the freeway and within 10-15 seconds it recovered and never happened again. The car had just over a 1/4 tank of gas and I don't think the on-ramp speed was so great that it would have starved the engine of gas. Was this VDC intervening?

Upon first read I thought you'd hit 7500 rpm's and the rev limiter kicked in. But the car recovers as soon as you shift (drop below 7500 I assume). It also sounds like it could be VDC or gas starvation in a right turn, except neither takes 10-15 seconds to recover.

I only got the 370 after a drunk killed my Z32. The Z32 is more comfortable and this stands out, on longer trips. I think it is the better car after some mods. Also the trunk space is much greater.

Good luck.
Nissan Motorsports 34R Oil Cooler. Stillen CBE. Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars. KW Variant 3 Coilover System. Stillen Gen3 CAI. Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Stillen Brake Ducts. Carbotech™ XP10/XP8 Pads. Z1 Front Rotors. Z1 Stainless Brake Lines. Two degrees of camber
Mt Tam I am is offline   Reply With Quote