View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dave N
Base Member

Drives: '12 PW 6M & 90 Z32TT
Dave N is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280z/300zx View Post
With regards to the 09 losing power I think it's fuel starvation. There have been reports that if close to 1/4 tank and high speed cornering that it can be fuel starved as the fuel pick up isn't able to accomadate.
I initially thought of that, but the engine didn't sputter as if it was starving for fuel. Perhaps the ECU is programmed to override the throttle input and force the engine to stay at idle and avoid a lean condition. I'll dig deeper on the fuel starvation topic and see if I can come up with more info.

Quote:
As for high rpm acceleration I think you are just used to the TT you have now. The feeling of acceleration does go away in the higher rpms but if you look down at the speedo you are still accleration at a good pace.
I was thinking the same thing but still surprised at how anemic the engine appeared to be. And while you're right about the acceleration continuing at a good pace, it's definitely not the pace that the TT provides. Another thing that probably skewed my perspective is that I've gotten a ride in a TT 370Z and it was very impressive throughout the RPM range. Obviously a lot of credit goes to the turbos but I had presumed the normally aspirated engine would not be as hindered as what I felt on these two cars over the weekend.

Quote:
As for the 09 adj suspension skipping around, thats common when changing the suspension to aftermarket. You have to be carefull you chose a set up that is meant for the car. Previous owner may have just not set the struts up right.
Those were my same thoughts as well. Too stiff and you start losing tire patch on the pavement due to the car's inability to absorb the impacts.

Quote:
Based off your description of both cars I would pass and find a different selection. I would avoid the 40th because of the clutch and avoid the 2009 due to the suspension. If I buy a used sports car I want something that was babied and never modified, but thats me and probably why I just buy new instead (aside from my 280z and 300zx).
Agreed on both counts. I was really leaning towards a 40th but, silly as this may sound, I prefer the nav package as it places more info higher up so you don't have to take your eyes too far off the road to get climate/radio/phone info. I could live with the soft suspension for a while but would have insisted the dealer verify the clutch is OK (supposedly checked to qualify it as CPO, but I don't think rapid upshifts are part of the criteria).

The '09's biggest downfall is the aftermarket suspension and the question of abuse by the previous owner. I played this up to the sales guy along with the fact that it lost power twice. Based on those items, I think the car is over priced and definitely not something I want to take on. Like you, I prefer new cars so *I* know that it's been properly broken in and not abused. Aside from the funky clutch action, I think the 40th Z was much closer to the mark than the '09.

I'm in no hurry to buy another car at this time. It was more of an exercise to scratch an itch and see how the 370Z compared to my Z - I was mostly curious to see if I could fit in it (6'4" - it was a bit snug). The 370Z has some nice amenities and the styling is growing on me. But the Z32 doesn't look too dated compared to most cars out there. My biggest issue on the Z32 is it's age (22 years old), and relative lack of safety enhancements compared to the 370Z (and virtually every newer car on the road for that matter).

Thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated.

Dave
Dave N is offline   Reply With Quote