View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #74 (permalink)
Bonzo
Track Member

Drives: Finally, a 370Z!!!
Bonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond reputeBonzo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL 4Motion View Post
iirc, mobil 1 at some point in the past switched out the type of base stock they were using (ie. cheaper to save $$) and still said mobil 1 was a true synthetic. There was a lawsuit brought against them by other oil manufactures and mobil won.

The only oil they make that still uses the "better" base stocks to create the finished product is 0w 40. Hence it's consistently better wear analysis vs. other mobil 1 oils overall over many different cars etc.
Ah, so they cheapened the mix. Interesting. Like corporate honchos and accountants forced the engineer's hands to save a buck.

Thanks for the down and dirty of it.

Although I must say, I think the oil vs oil thing is a bit over rated anymore. If you are tracking this car then yeah, I might be concerned. But for us normal daily driver sorts, I think the Mobil 1 5-30 will do just fine. It might not take this car to a million miles, but it will get it to 250,000 for sure.
Delivered Tuesday November 15, 9:57 am!!!
2012, Auto, White, Sport, Kick Plates