View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
dalparadise
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2010 Z Roadster T/S
dalparadise is on a distinguished road
Default Two Nismos at Baker-Jackson in Houston

(Plus a test drive)

Was in the dealership (South location) today to check out the Zs. They had two Nismos -- one black and one white -- that weren't yet showing on the Web site. Great looking rides. Not my taste exactly, but I can definitely see the appeal. If you're looking for this model, the manager of the dealership (Brad Baker) is personally responsible for all Z and GT-R sales, so you you'll cut to the chase on making a deal. He seems ready to deal, too.

Instead, I tested a Touring/Sport 6MT with nav. Very nice. I was a bit disappointed in the exhaust note. The demonstrator car had 2000 miles on it and I've been told the note had just started settling in. It still didn't sound as deep and strong as my 2006 MX-5 (with a 4cylinder, no less). I think I'll need to spend some money on bolt-ons with a Z. Nissan needs to tune this a bit.

I think the car could stand to lose a couple hundred pounds. The power was undeniable, though. I could get into trouble really quick in this thing. I found the clutch to be a little "switch-like (abrupt engagement)" for my tastes, but got used to it quickly. Shift throws were probably quite good, but seemed less refined than my perfect shifter in the MX-5.

The Z also felt a little more loose in the drivetrain than my MX-5, which has over 60,000 miles on it. There was more vibration through the shifter. I could hear the shift linkage and clutch engagement. The engine sounds were more mechanical banging than combustion and growl.

That said, though, exiting the freeway in 4th gear and 65 mph., I goosed the throttle a tad and snapped my buddy's head back against the seat. That's impressive. Though heavy by Miata standards, the Z feels planted and sure through turns. and the Synchrorev -- well, that's pure genius.

The car looks beautiful, goes like stink and feels cool to drive. It's a little raw for such a technologically advanced car, but that may actually make it more appealing over time.

I think I'm sold.
dalparadise is offline   Reply With Quote