View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM   #115 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstar View Post
I would *guess* that the factory lift spec for the adjuster is so they can have reasonable mfg tolerances. e.g. some of the VVEL units mfg'd will have slightly different physical limits, but the factory spec is something that all VVEL units can be adjusted to at the factory with those bolts. You might find that some engines have more leftover room on the adjust than others (or even different on the two sides of one engine, and you really want them to match up perfectly). Still, even assuming most engines have some usable adjustment headroom on both sides and you could adjust them perfectly in sync with each other, and it doesn't cause physical contact, you're left with question marks about whether the stock ECU can deal with that safely, and/or what (possibly unknown) tuneables to tweak there to make it work right).
I guess the big question is how loose are things set up? If that extra potential lift that isn't being used is there to aovid problems due to potential valve float at high revs maybe it's best left alone...

It just seems really surprising to me that with better flowing intake and exhaust components that VVEL tuning wouldn't be advantageous, but data trumps theory so...

I'd really like to know more details about what kinds of tests and adjustments were done before the conclusion "not worth it" was determined