View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #33 (permalink)
mook
Base Member

Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe
mook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt5897 View Post
so tell us why all these smaller cars are that much better... because you perceive that they are faster.... hmmmmm just doesnt cut it for me.
Sounds like you are having a lot of fun with your Z! Congrats on actually using the car for what it was made for.
Track work in tricked out cars is a whole different beast though, isn't it? As I said in my mini-review, this is a street stock comparison. I am 100% certain that if I was in an environment which allowed balls to the wall redline fun with all the collateral entertainment, Nismo 370Z would be in my driveway tomorrow and I would love every second of it. Maybe I'll get into the that later.
On the street though, for me the fun factor and how fast it "feels" is much more important than whether a Z06 hands me my rear bumper on the platter and then makes me eat it. Smaller, lighter cars with LESS rubber can move about more freely on the streets and on the highway, in general can do creative driving bits at lower speeds and make you work the car and participate in the process rather than point and squirt stuff that a car like Z06 is restricted to on the streets. Maybe 370Z is the middle ground, I am not sure.

A good example is in some cities where things are tighter and law is on the
case, many choose light agile 600cc crotch rockets instead of the faster and heavier 1000cc machines, myself included. Highway aside, it's no fun to roll around in two gears all day long babying the throttle like it's going to bite you.
600, you can work and feel like a MotoGP hero without going to jail, well... ok... maybe a few tickets. Oh and the actual average speed - is too close to worry about. The highway, well that's another matter. Nothing like the narrowing street at 180mph on two wheels, not that I have ever done it =).

That's why Miatas are so much fun when boosted on the street.

For instance, the latest tiny tricked out Lotus is a monster track machine but it is routinely passed by Cayman S in British reviews because it is just more fun on the street, believe it or not (I have to, cause noone is going to let me test drive the Lotus)

Last edited by mook; 08-03-2009 at 01:19 PM.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote