View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
mook
Base Member

Drives: 07 BMW M Coupe
mook is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed View Post
Obviously his driving style warrants his enjoyment for fwd drive cars.
The s2000 as he said... pre 04 was uncivilized. Those were more like pure race cars then over time they refined them in order to sell better. S2000 sales have always been lackluster though the car is iconic. So honda sold out some of its purity for luxury 05 n up.
Thanks for understanding.

Actually, if you read my first post it clearly says that I can't stand FWD and that is why I am getting rid of Mazdaspeed (which I still enjoy very much) after 1 year of driving it in favor of a used Cayman S. I firmly believe in steering with the throttle =). As one great Grand Prix racer once said, refering to the art of four wheel drift: one who keeps his wheels straight the most - wins. Not that Mazda can't do that, it's just well it's missing some of that old school RWD flavor. This is also, why (aside from the weight) I don't want those psycho 4wds like WRX - too much push, not enough swing.

370Z could have saved me a bit of dough.... but some things are just a matter of taste.

Noone probably cares by now, but The 05 and up S2000 has slower steering, stronger engine and better planted rear end, although just as easily drifted. Some of the fun was definitely gone.

I heard that few companies wanted to insure the old S2000 anymore, since so many of them were wrecked by inexperienced drivers. Once it swapped ends on me at 60mph on bold tires in the rain just from hitting a puddle (and I was going nearly straight). It snapped the tail, hydroplaned and no amount of opposite lock or throttle play could get it away from the curb, which was coming at me all of a sudden at a good clip. I locked up all four wheels. spun it out and finally found some grip... rolling backwards and away from the damn curb. Car stalled (did not clutch it on time, once it spun), and with traffic coming up fast, that Start button suddenly became very handy LOL.

The old turbo MR2's had the same problem.

As for the steering, I kind of love the direct feel of good old unassisted rack, like they have on a Lotus (dream car, eh?) Purely matter of preference, I realize.

Oh, and I love the Nismo looks =). It's the Nismo that I would buy, if I went with a Nissan. I am sure I would enjoy the firmer suspension.

Last edited by mook; 08-03-2009 at 11:13 AM.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote