View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Nixlimited
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 15 GT-R / 11 Prius
Nixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond reputeNixlimited has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@GTM View Post
Just weighing the boxes and/or components aren't really going to give you a precise answer because there are parts that get swapped out.

One thing I can say, is that the extra weight we do add, is as low as possible to keep your center of gravity lower. Especially our Supercharger kit...you really can't get much lower than that. Also, for the more hardcore racers, the Supercharger sits on the passenger side of the engine bay which will make it more helpful when corner balancing the car.

All that said, it seems that most people adding forced induction don't seem to be the hardcore racers that agonize over ever last ounce on their car and where it is in relation to the center of gravity. Hell, Fontana Nissan's 350Z race car is N/A and whoops a$$ on the track. I watched that car walk on their own GTR race car. So if you are looking for the ultimate cone dodger or road course machine, getting the car as light as possible is going to benefit all the aspects of road racing that make it fun. Braking late, keeping your cornering speed high and putting the power down early are massive advantages compared to just going balls out on the front straight.

But, not everyone is keen on spending $1-2k on track tires every time they want to have fun in their car. Some people prefer doing a third gear pull with 500whp every now and then just to remind them of how bada$$ their car is.

It really all boils down to preference and your intended use of the car. If you are that concerned about weight and it's distribution, don't put an FI kit on your car. It's that simple. Take that money and put it in lighter wheels, coilovers, sway bars and the like. Make it light and make it stick.
I agree with what you're saying. I am not convinced that anyone who is competitively tracking wants to add FI to an NA engine and risk the chance of losing the engine. With all that said, weight on the track is the same as weight on the street--less is better. Just had no idea how much these kits weigh in at. Thanks for the info.