View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Namir
Track Member

Drives: 09 G37S 6MT
Namir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond reputeNamir has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is some confusion as to what engine braking is.
"Engine braking is the act of using the energy-requiring compression phase of a heat engine to dissipate energy and slow down a vehicle."

No where does it say you have to jerk the car while re-engaging the clutch in a lower gear (from not having the wheel speed match the engine speed for the chosen gear).
Once you are in the lower gear (which you are presumably engaging to 'engine brake') the throttle is not being applied by the SRM system. This means that the turning wheels are responsible for most of the force required to turn the engine at these RPMs.

A low gear means high RPMs which requires more energy, thus engaging this lower gear and opposing the car's momentum with the energy required to turn the engine at this high RPM is what causes the car to slow down ... engine braking.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
And like others have said, drive the car. If you feel like SRM is 'overriding' your inputs and you don't like it, turn it off. I doubt this will be the case though.

Summary:
Jerky downshift /= engine braking.
Jerky downshift = short synchro life.

G37S|6MT|PREM|NAV|Eibach|Ichibia|Injen
Namir is offline   Reply With Quote