View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #114 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy'sz View Post
slight color change and the smell sold me. Just because the oil isn't black doesn't mean it isn't burnt.
What exactly do you mean by burnt (other than a smell)? Typically, burnt oil means it has hardened/glazed to a varnish. All oil changes color and smell as it gets used, that's completely normal. I guess I'm struggling with the subjectivity. In any case, the real issue with oil temps in the Z isn't the breakdown of the oil itself (many synthetics will remain stable up to 400 F); the issue is the bearings that are internal to the engine. Years ago, Nissan switched to a softer metal that is more susceptible to warping under high temps. That's why high oil temps -- even if the oil itself is okay -- are bad for this engine. Indeed, it's probably why these cars have a limp mode.
Do a Google search on "370z oil temps bearings" and the very first hit will take you to an article that explains all this in detail. The second link explains it as well.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote