View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 04:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jordo!
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2023 NATM
Jordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond reputeJordo! has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people just don't opt for it -- adds a good bit to the cost. Either that or the ones they are getting are too cold and not keeping it around the ideal temp when winter rolls around.

Allegedly the block off plate works well enough to help the oil warm up in the winter time... still I'm skeptical. It's just better to have a decent thermostat on it.

Also, I'd say only about half of the people who buy the oil cooler have a clear idea what the optimal range of oil temps is -- 180*F - 220*F, as noted by Import Convert, is spot on. I think a lot of folks just assume "cooler is better", which it's not, unless you are sailing past 240* F of course...

You can run a little cooler and a good bit hotter on modern oils, but something in the 200*F +/- 20 ball park is ideal, especially when flogging it.

If limp mode kicks in at 280* F, that's a bit high. Hopefully it kicks on at 260* -- thankfully I've never had it happen.