View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #105 (permalink)
AggieAv8r
Base Member

Drives: 09 BO G37S 6MT
AggieAv8r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by esfourteen View Post
top end is not hurt at all by the gears unless you're crazy, you CAN hit 160mph+ and you will get there quicker with 4.08's
agreed - I'm still technically "breaking them in" but I have access to a runway where I'll soon test 'em out. But practically speaking, no, no noticeable difference. The car just feels like it needs to keep going .... so fun to drive now.

On the downside, and I'm hoping maybe jnaut and tranceformer will chime in, I talked to the shop that put em in today. Told him about the whine under light acceleration, just enough drive input to maintain speed, and he acted like there was nothing more he could do - he said the mesh pattern was perfect, and then gave me the dreaded "some gear sets just whine ... can't tune em out"

Told me to drive it for awhile and let everything "seat" and see if it changes any. I'm also going to switch to Redline 75W90 to see if it helps any. But I don't think it will. Any reason to believe that this may work itself out after break in ???? That just doesn't make sense to me ....

So I'm hoping you guys can give me some ammo to go back with ... as far as specific adjustments. Anyone else see this? Any experience with pinion preload adjustments? Mesh patterns that work better than others i.e. more toe, or more heel patterns? Anything that will convince him to break into it again and make an adjustment.