View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #136 (permalink)
christian370z
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 370Z/Saab 900se
christian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond reputechristian370z has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzZz View Post
The fact that Nissan got it to where a driver coming from a Ferrari would say that speaks volumes. The 370z is just so close to being perfect and it's all the little things that's holding it back. That's the disappointment.

More solid motor mounts, smoother, quicker and smoother shifting transmission, suspension tuning, engine note, throttle response, removing the clutch pedal spring, lighter flywheel and pulleys, etc. I don't think it's all that difficult or unreliable for Nissan to tighten up this type of stuff. Whether it be a business decision or that someone from the dept. of luxury engineering got their hands on it mucked it up, it wasn't a great decision.

I understand that's where modding comes in but it should come from the factory a sports car and not a more "sportified G37 coupe".
I think the 370z is a bit more than a sportified G37. All those things you listed above are of course completely possible for Nissan to do. BUT, it requires additional R&D which means more money. More money in the research, development and production phases means passing this cost on to consumers which Nissan saw as something they couldn't afford.

For me, the fact that the car is as competent as it is for a low to mid $30k car is pretty amazing. It may not be the most refined in some areas, but it is a very reliable and robust entry level sports car with great performance.

My opinion on my Z:

I have had my car for roughly a year and 3 months now and I have loved every minute of it. After adding an oil cooler and select bolt ons, I feel as if my Z is the perfect balance of power, handling, and comfort. It can outperform many much more expensive and powerful cars and it looks unique and special, one thing that I hold as an important factor in the Z.

As for the complaints of transmission refinement, noise levels and a rough feeling engine at high rpms, I actually enjoy them. Quarks are what give a car character, and those attributes make the 370z feel raw and almost 'back to the basics' in a day and age where car companies are fighting to make the smoothest and most refined cars.

The only thing I will say that I notice and don't like is the way the 6mt shifts, especially when cold. However, I am going to be putting some Redline trans fluid in soon which many have found to help with smoother shifting, less drivetrain noise and a more enjoyable MT experience in general. But if you look at how the stock manual trans can handle 500-600rwhp without even breaking a sweat, those quibbles quickly don't seem to be that bad anymore.
SP Rays -- RE-11s -- SpecialtyZ Tune -- Swift Springs -- Stillen 25R Oil Cooler -- Stillen G3 Intakes -- Berk HFCs -- F.I. 12" CBE -- Stillen Sway Bars -- Es14 Spring -- INGS+1 lip -- CF Spoiler -- GTR Start Button -- VLED Parking Lights -- PWJDM V2 shift knob