Thread: 335i
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
phunk
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370
phunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond reputephunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffblue View Post
I dont mean to come off like a fanboy because i sold my 370z for a 335, but the power in the 335 comes on way faster than the power in the 370z. The fact that it is a turbo car is irrelevant. The turbos are very small in the car (like the size of a donut) and they have instant boost. In fact in the n54 motor, they had to take special care in tuning the car to keep the wastegates shut for slightly longer, since the turbos are so small they would actually just be in full boost all the time.
its ok my friend. i actually stated that the BMW "had it on the torque", what i meant by that is that the power came on harder/sooner. I also stated that there is a momentary lag, but that is with any turbo car. NA cars have no boost transition, the moment you are full throttle they are at 100% of their power at the given RPM. This is not true of any turbo engine. Smaller builds power faster, yes, but there is never such thing as "instant" boost with a turbo motor.

You have your wastegate facts backwords BTW... if you were trying to stay out of boost, you would keep the wastegates OPEN rather than shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffblue View Post
the muffler adds 0hp/tq on the 335. Sounds about right that you'd pull on him 40-80 stock, but i doubt it if he had a tune. Keep in mind, there are other factors besides hp/tq. there is also weight of cars, gearing etc that will determine which car is faster.
Does that sound about right? Because I never said that. And really, are you sure that other factors besides HP/TQ effect a cars acceleration???? who knew?!?!

The thread was about 335i versus 370z... I never quoted HP, I never said I pulled him. I said a friends 335i with a tune and my 370z with test pipes did several pulls and were dead even. tune confirmed. the story ends there. dont be in such a rage to defend your bmw, and maybe you will read things as they were stated.

Last edited by phunk; 10-04-2011 at 09:20 AM.