View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
AdamsPolishes
The370Z.com Sponsor

Drives: 2009 Avalanche
AdamsPolishes has a spectacular aura aboutAdamsPolishes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangler View Post
I've been annoyed by these swirls on my car for awhile. I went to a car wash and the pressure on the water spraying thing was a bit high I think, now there are swirls everywhere.

I tried looking for an auto detail shop around where I live but I didn't find many good ones at all. I found a popular place called Maaco. I gave them a call and they say they would paint the entire car for $300. I thought to myself, "WOW, that is really amazing to paint the entire car for that much." Then I asked for a bit more detail and he said the $300 was their cheapest paint. I also asked for the most expensive one because I don't want something cheap on the Z and he said it would be around $500 for the more expensive paint.

He also said they don't really just remove swirls they would have to paint the car.

I'm thinking about bringing the car in this weekend to see what they can do about it.

How do you guys get rid of your swirls? I really want want to bring it to Maaco but if that's the only choice I have then I might just have to do it.
Repainting a car b/c it has swirls is like buying a new car every time you need an oil change. Its pointless because it will just happen again and needlessly expensive since the fix is easy and not much money.

A simple correction of the paint, by yourself or a professional detailer, will cost a fraction of a new paint job. Paint correction is not rocket science, but the thing you need to learn first is how to prevent/minimize swirls b/c even if you do find a pro to handle it for you if your wash and care routine are not correct you're just going to swirl the paint up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggeron View Post
It you got swirls, you will get swirls again. Why pay someone to get rid of them. Buy a PC and make a hobby out of detailing your car.
detailing can be a fun and rewarding hobby. If you're really into your car it can be very enjoyable.

Quote:
I have done some research on this.

I thought about getting swirls fixed at a shop which would cost around $100 or so instead of buying a PC ($200+) and doing the work myself.

The problem I ran into was that I couldn't find ANY detail shops around here that only gets rid of swirls. I even called them and had no luck.
Any shop that says they'll correct your paint for $100 is either full of it, or going to make your paint looks worse. A quality professional detail is going to run you closer to $250 starting for someone who genuinely knows what they're doing.

As far as not finding a shop that would get rid of swirls... thats the first thing a detailer should be able to do or they're not detailers. Might need to look harder or do more research b/c it sounds like you contacted a bunch of hack jobs.

Quote:
Anyways, what do you think would happen if I repaint at Maaco? Would the paint look like crap or something? I wasn't going to repaint the car but that guy said that's all they do at Maaco. So I said I was just going to bring in the car to see if they can get rid of swirls without repainting.
A professional, high quality paint job, is going to run you around $8-$10,000... maaco will spray your car with single stage paint, not do proper prep, not mask door jambs, etc. Theres a reason they're cheap - they do crap work. As with anything in life YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

AdamsPolishes is offline   Reply With Quote