View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mandingo
Track Member

Drives: '10 370z 6spd
Mandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond reputeMandingo has a reputation beyond repute
Default White smoke/steam from oil cap

I noticed some white smoke coming out of the oil fill inlet the other day. I've checked a couple times since, and its has the steam/smoke every time.

I got paranoid that perhaps my oil was frothing since it is right at the H mark on the dipstick (seems unlikely). So I drove around a bit and checked the dipstick within about 1 minute of killing the engine and found a lot of bubbles in the oil on the stick.

It seems like my oil level should be fine since its within spec though. Am I just overreacting? Could the white smoke mean I have a PCV issue? Bubbles on the dipstick normal? If it sounds like I'm clueless, its because I am with most car stuff.

I'm running redline 5w30 filled to 1mm below high mark on dipstick (was a little overzealous in pouring during last oil change )