View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
DIGItonium
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 Z34-TT 6MT
DIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond reputeDIGItonium has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Throttle Response: DE/HR vs VHR

So I'm not crazy after all! VVEL sounds like great technology. It offers great smoothness and consistency in power delivery especially for forced induction, and it pulls hard to redline. However, it appears the biggest tradeoff is throttle response. That's the one thing I really miss coming from the DE.

I had the opportunity to test drive my friend's '08 350Z, and he had a thrill of a test drive in my force-fed 370Z.

We started up the car and revved it in neutral. I barely touch the throttle in the 350Z, and it quickly revved to 2k as if it has a lightened flywheel. Since I'm not used to it, it feels a bit touchy on tip in. I don't think the 370Z can rev this quick. On for a test drive, I got in 1st and kept the revs under 2k. I tapped the throttle and literally broke loose before the revs touch 3k. This is with VDC disabled.

Of course, this is where it feels different. I opened it up a bit and expected more power beyond 3k. It's a slightly vague feeling over the 370Z (off boost), but there is still an immediate response of the accelerator pedal to the throttles.

It would be nice to have my ECU throttle tables tweaked to get this feeling back. It would make the 370Z (force-fed or not) so more fun to drive.