View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #33 (permalink)
ImportConvert
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2019 CX5 GT Reserve
ImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond reputeImportConvert has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmike2780 View Post
Not to sound like a fanboy, but completely agree. The 370z does hold its own for the most part. Engine specs and power rating are great for bragging rights , but doesn't necessarily mean a faster/better car. Just look at the Porsche Cayman S vs 370z comparsions. On paper, the specs give the Z the advantage. In the real world however, most would agree that the Porsche is the better car (more balanced). You don't see Porsche trying to stuff a V8 in the Cayman because Ford came out with more powerful Mustang. Nissan should follow in that same regard by building an even more refined Z with a modest bump in power. Direct Injection alone should be able to push it close to the mid-high 300hp's. No doubt Nissan will play around with the VVEL as well so I really don't think going with forced induction is really necessary to be competitive.
That's because Porsche has a complete line of sports cars, unlike Nissan. The Cayman is on the "entry level" side. It then goes to 345bhp, 385bhp, 415bhp, 530bhp, and 650bhp. (I may be off by 1 year-model or so and some of those may be upgraded, it's been a while since I looked at their line-up, but you get the point)

So what does Nissan have? 332 and 530.

No middle ground in price or power.

They appeal to someone who wants a Hyundai Genesis type car, and a 911TT type car, but noone who wants anything but one of the 2 extremes.

Typical of a "regular car" company that does not really care much about sports cars other than that they offer two, which sell dismally.

Last edited by ImportConvert; 09-28-2011 at 05:47 PM.
ImportConvert is offline   Reply With Quote