View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dizzy
Base Member

Drives: 10 HW 6MT SPT/NAV
Dizzy is on a distinguished road

A couple of thoughts....

Fill your tank to prevent condensation inside it. Fuel stabalizer is up to you. I've been storing bikes and cars for years, never used it, never had a problem.

Get an oil change as close as possible to storage day as you can. Ideally, you can do it yourself and change it where it will sit. The oil change is the very last thing I do before parking mine.

Make sure your tires are inflated to the proper max recommended air pressure. If you are worried about flat spots, jack the car and put a 1/4 rubber mat under each tire (those Goodyear floor mats are cheap and work great - COSTCO). Flat spots however are highly unlikely, but not a myth. They occur when a combination of things happen, but in reality, none of those combinations would apply to the Z tire and our winter conditions.

A battery tender trickle charger is cheap but for the most part, not needed. As mentioned, unless you have something after market placing a big drain on your battery (and your anti corrosion unit shouldn't do that), it's not required. I was fully connected all winter in an unheated garage and it turned in the spring like it had never been stored. Unless you bring you battery inside and properly tend it over the winter, simply disconnecting and leaving in the car does nothing other than causing programming headaches in the spring.

Detail, detail, detail. Wash wash wash...every nook and cranny. You want to put it away as clean as possible. That includes the underside and engine compartment as well as the interior. It's also the time I clay bar mine and give it a good coat of wax.

Put a vapour barrier between your car and the floor. A thick sheet of plastic taped to the tires and tucked into the doors is a good barrier between your Z and the floor. It helps prevent moisture transfer but more importantly, it helps combat your biggest potential problem - critters. Adding a few moth balls under the car will help keep mice and other chewing menaces away. This is the probably the most important part of winterizing - keeping the critters out! Also, a wad of steel wool in the tail pipes makes those nice dark tunnels a lot less appealing to mice. You have pay attention to critters if you are storing in a barn. Mice are prevelant pretty much everywhere, but especially in barns.

Cover the car with a good quality breathable car cover designed for winter storage.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to ensure it will come out just the way you put it away!

Sigh.....it is about that time isn't it?

Last edited by Dizzy; 09-28-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote