View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #116 (permalink)
bvl
Enthusiast Member

Drives: MB Roadster (sold)
bvl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver streak View Post
I just spoke with my Nissan dealer here in Sterling Va. and they have quoted me $95 for Ester oil and filter change with there express service taking no more than 45 minutes.
Hate to hear that you were taken advantage of like that. You have got to go back and make them correct this highway robbery!!
That's reasonable if you consider a $12-15/qt product, plus filter and labor.

If you are happy using the Ester that is fine, though don't due it due to mis-information and marketing fluff (vs. hard science) such as what robones regurgitated above (amigo: I count 4 inaccuracies alone in your posts. Do you work for the OEM that supplies Nissan with their Ester brand? )

For the sake of warranty and zero hassle factor, follow the manual (which clearly states any certified 5/30 fill is fine). If you are outside the warranty or don't care, then run what you like and if you choose to run extended intervals, perform some UOA's to see how that particular formulation is behaving.

There are plenty of posted UOAs at BITOG and other sites to go on.

I am following a 6month change interval myself (as I don't hit the mileage numbers per the scheduled maintenance guide), which will include dealer 5/30 in the winter, and Pennzoil Platinum in the summer.

Once outside the warranty, yearly synthetic changes right before the winter when it tends to set for a few months.

- b
bvl is offline   Reply With Quote