Thread: Cabin noise
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #179 (permalink)
UNKNOWN_370
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: well over 130m.p.h.
UNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond reputeUNKNOWN_370 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard Dad View Post
Hi everyone. Some months ago I mentioned that as part of of an audio upgrade I was going to add more sounding deadener in the cockpit area, well I'm back to report the results.

As some of you know I've been aggressive in reducing the road noise in the Z. In the hatch I've applied generous amounts of Dynamat Extreme and covered most of it with Luxury Liner Pro. I've also applied Dynamat Extreme to the doors.

My most recent addition was to apply Rammat (essentially Dynamat Exterme from another supplier) on the bare metal of the cockpit floor. To do this I removed the seats and pulled the carpet back as far as possible. I was not able to apply Rammat to the top of the console and more than about 6-8" above the floor in the foot wells.

My observations are as follows:

Dynamat Exterme in the hatch and doors, approximately 38 square feet total: Huge improvement, modest cost, modest additional weight, modest degree of difficulty. Well worth the trouble.

Luxury Liner Pro in the hatch, approximately 20 square feet: Limited additional improvement over the Dynamat Extreme alone, this stuff is heavy. Probably not worth it unless the noise is a real issue for you.

Rammat on the cockpit floor, this requires removal of the seats, approximately 20 square feet: Rammat seems like a quality product but the improvement is this case was barely noticeable (the factory has already installed significant sound deadener on the cockpit floor) and is limited to a slight reduction of an annoying resonance from the foot wells that really wasn't noticeable until the application of the Dynamat Exterme and Luxury Liner Pro in the hatch. Probably not worth the trouble unless you are gutting the interior for some other reason.

The take away: Apply Dynamat Exterme or Rammat to the doors and hatch for a big noise reduction and only do more if you really feel the need.
Wow... so how much weight gain are we talking about???
UNKNOWN_370 is offline   Reply With Quote