View Single Post
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #114 (permalink)
Guard Dad
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 2010 370Z Silver A7
Guard Dad will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebenegro View Post
Hey, Guard Dad.

I just got the 4300DVD unit myself. I should be installing the Polks thsi weekend, maybe early next week. All in all, your setup sounds very similar to what Im looking to do. Maybe with the exception of the 2-ways in the B pillars. Do you think they make a difference? Thats something I could probably do now... Im doing the amp and sub in december, most likely.
Well I've been playing around with the various settings and, for me, the B pillar speakers are a real winner. I know that these speakers (B pillar) are not universally loved but I like the clarity they provide for the vocals. The fact that they move the sound stage toward the center of the car doesn't bother me, besides, once the sub is thumping away behind you you're "on stage" with the performers anyway. I'm really glad I stumbled onto these speakers (Infinity Reference 3032cf), they were affordable and sound great.

Notes:

1. I didn't use the large cutoff capacitors.
2. I was a little nervous that the seat belts would rub against the back side of the speaker and damage the belts so I took a piece of scrap leather (about 5"x6" ) and attached it to the B pillar on either side of the seat belt in very loose loop. It doesn't really guide the belt all it does is provide a soft surface between the back of the speaker and the seat belt.
3. These speakers have a special design that maximizes the area of the speaker but this means that they don't easily mount to the back side (inside) of an enclosure they are more easily mounted on the front side (outside) of an enclosure. I slightly enlarged the mounting holes on the speakers, slightly trimmed the mounting bosses on the B pillar trim and "floated" the speakers on two of the factory mounting bosses and then sealed the space/gap (3/16-1/4") between the speaker frame and the B pillar trim with small strips of Rammat/Dynamat, making sure that nothing touched the speaker cone.
3. Don't get greedy and try to install speakers larger than 3.5", it's not worth the trouble, there's not much room to work with.
4. Be sure to remove the felt insert in the factory speaker grill and trim off the plastic "bumps" on the back side of the factory grills.

Last edited by Guard Dad; 09-24-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Guard Dad is offline   Reply With Quote