View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #23 (permalink)
RunNgun
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370z black AT
RunNgun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemurray View Post
I think they are referring to any potential liability claims, IE you are taking your girlfriend for a ride, run a red light, get t-boned, she gets injured significantly. Most medical on car insurance would be about 25k, but then the girlfriends medical bills would be 200k, which her family could sue your insurance to cover. If you get that liability too low, then when they run out of insurance coverage, your personal assets will be sold to cover the difference. The insurance company won't start paying out of the bodily/property portion without a lawsuit, once the lawsuit is started then you are liable for the judgement whatever it is. If the judgement is 500000, and you only had 50,000 in coverage, then you owe 450,000 out of pocket.

Thats the basic idea of what they are saying I believe.
Ah ok that makes sense. I guess the way I see it, even the 100k coverage could still be a drop in the bucket for any kind of damage, and being on the hook for half a million or a quarter million would still leave me screwed, so I might as well declare bankruptcy if someone sues me for everything I've got, which is pretty much the Z and a flat screen TV
RunNgun is offline   Reply With Quote