View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
RunNgun
Base Member

Drives: 2011 370z black AT
RunNgun is on a distinguished road

If you have a spotless driving record with some decent history (i.e. you're not 21 years old) then you should be able to insure a Z for under $100/month. If you feel confident you wont be involved in any accidents then just strip your plan to the bone. Insurance companies love to tack on things like road side assistance, rental car coverage, etc etc, things you may already have with the dealer or AAA. They also always put you at $500 deductible when you could push it to $1000. Then theres the bodily/property damage values which they tend to put at the absolute maximum of 100k/300k. You can usually request as low as 25k. Finally there are things like UNDERinsured motorist coverage. Do not confuse this with UNinsured coverage which is required. Underinsured just means your insurance company will help pay for any damages that their insurance company doesnt, but good luck getting them to actually do it.

I had really stressed to my last insurance rep that I wanted a 100% barebones plan, the absolute minimum legally required for me to drive this car. They lied and left a lot of those things in there. What you need to do is ask them 1 by 1, what exactly you are paying for, and then before they go to the next item, ask them "WHAT IS THE MINIMUM I CAN PAY FOR THAT OPTION, AND IS IT EVEN REQUIRED????". The items I listed above are probably all you need to concern yourself with, but you never know what other garbage they might tack on there. My bill instantly dropped $45/month after making those adjustments.
RunNgun is offline   Reply With Quote