View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mt Tam I am
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370Z T/S/N 6MT & XKE
Mt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond reputeMt Tam I am has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurneyeagle View Post
Just checked-out video five with your "off road excursion". It wasn't anywhere near as bad as what you led on. I was expecting a 100 mph, gravel slinging power slide coming within inches of a concrete barrier! Great job driving.

It takes some real character to post a video of a mistake for everyone to see. From the videos, it looks like you had an awesome time! Thanks for carrying the Z banner proudly against the Mustang and Porsche crowd.
Sorry for leading you on. It was eye opening!

Regarding posting a mistake:
How would we learn from another's mistake if we hid the bad. Heck, I had to go back and watch the clip to see what I did wrong. I thought all four wheels came off, when clearly they did not. Even the error has helped me realize how much I still need to learn. So I will. If anyone here makes the same mistake, you can't say you weren't warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
I'd call that a good 3 wheels off, luckily you still had 1 wheel on the curbing to help pull you back in. The wall gets close fast doesn't it?

Yes Sir. Very fast.

I'm not a big fan of the lead/follow and that is one of the reasons why. It is pretty easy to shadow another person's car, following their line and speed, but while doing that you aren't really consciously picking up any references as far as brake markers, turn-in points etc. Having an instructor sit besides you is generally more productive, and each student is free to learn at their own pace.

I'm glad you had a good time though, looks like it was a good experience overall.
The worst part was I saw on the video where I knew I should be, and yet I was late and wide right off the bat then too early. I simply needed to go slower and drive the line properly and forget about going fast.

I will ask about a private lesson with an instructor in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onzedge View Post
MT Tam,

That is an excellent write up. I will spend the time to watch the videos tonight. You have inspired me to do this, too. It has been 20+ years since I attended the Bondurant School at Sears Point. I think it's past time for refresher training.
I concur. 20 years ago you didn't have such a capable car as the 370. I think you owe it yourself. That is what I told myself.

Watch the video and learn the racing line. I will do the same. Clearly I need a little more. I will go back for sure if they come up with PD3 class as they said they would.

To everyone who read or watched the videos, Thank you very much.
Nissan Motorsports 34R Oil Cooler. Stillen CBE. Hotchkis Sport Sway Bars. KW Variant 3 Coilover System. Stillen Gen3 CAI. Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Stillen Brake Ducts. Carbotech™ XP10/XP8 Pads. Z1 Front Rotors. Z1 Stainless Brake Lines. Two degrees of camber
Mt Tam I am is offline   Reply With Quote