Thread: Small Rock Chip
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
gurneyeagle
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '18 Audi TT RS
gurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphman View Post
read my email from dr. colorchip wrong so it wont be in till probably monday. will post results next weekend. I have a black Z so the chip repair might come out better than other colors.
murph - I hope you read the directions for dr. colorchip. You aren't supposed to leave it unpolished for more than I believe 24 before their polish doesn't work.

I've found the best drying time for Houston, and other humid climates, is about 20 minutes. It's going to take you a few times to develop a feel for polishing the repair. The first few times you may wipe away all the paint.

I find it best to let the repair dry for 20 minutes, and then ever-so-lightly rub it with the cloth and polish they provide. It usually takes me three to four passes to get the repair even with the surrounding surface.

Good Luck!

Another trick I have found using regular touch-up paint is to build up the repair as Ken said (did you mean convex as opposed to concave?), and then wipe it even with the surface of the surrounding area with a soft towel dampened with a solution of paint thinner or mineral spirits (NOT lacquer thinner!) and water.

The idea is to remove a slight bit of the new paint at a time.
Waiting on the Z35! SOLD - 2011 Gun Metallic Touring 7AT w Sports Pkg & Nav, Nismo Bumper and Rims, RC Grille, RC Brake Ducts, H&R Spacers, Painted Door Hdls, GTR Start Button, Nav By-Pass, EVO R Fog Light, CF Ducktail, CF Interior Trim
gurneyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote