View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
XwChriswX
WFLYIDNNE

Drives: 02 GDB WRX
XwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond reputeXwChriswX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725 View Post
Fishing line won't scratch if you pull outwards and not down... if you need to remove it makes sense to try floss first I guess.

Only issue with Plastidip is that it limits your paint colors.
True, but if you're just looking for a matte black, it's perfect. Color, go with paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370guy View Post
I'm gonna plasti-dip everything this weekend. It's still kind of intimidating as I've never seen it done live but I'm gonna give it a shot!
Here's the process I did and it worked out pretty damn good.

1. Mask off all areas you don't want to get any plasti-dip on. I taped out a square 6" from the area, then did plastic wrap around that.

2. Get some alcohol and use cotton balls and ear swabs to clean the whole area including the part needing to be painted. I then went by with a cotton cloth and wiped away the excess.

3. Now to actually plasti-dip. I started by setting a 20 minute timer on my phone/watch/whatever you have. Then proceeded to paint as so:
  • Spray an initial, very very light coat just to get it springled on, then start the 20 minute timer.
  • At the 15 minute mark, spray your first Full coat. Let dry.
  • When the timer runs out, spray a second Full coat.
  • If you wish to apply a 3rd or any more coats, I would continue with a 15 minute interval, but 2 was plenty for me.
  • After you have sprayed all the coats, let dry/cure for at least 4 hours. (Longer if your in a cooler/more humid climate)

4. Once all the time has passed, do the small finger press to make sure it doesn't leave behind a print, if so, your plasti-dip has cured. You can start to remove all of your wrapping/masking and eventually you'll be right to the plasti-dip on the paint.

5. Using either a dental floss pick or toothpick, you can begin to gently lift parts or the edge of the plasti-dip. Continue to pull it up until you have enough to grab with fingertips and start removing.

6. Once you have enough to hold onto, the plasti-dip on the paint should separate on its own from the emblems. If it does not, having a razor blade or hobby knife to assist isn't a bad idea... Gently cut out the shape and continue to remove excess.

7. After you've removed all the excess, you can come back with some goo gone or alcohol and clean up the residue.

You're done! Step back, enjoy, take pictures to fap to later.

Bonnie - Stage 2, Audio build coming this fall!
R.I.P. Abby 3/29/10 - 3/30/14
XwChriswX is offline   Reply With Quote