View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
semtex
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: People to drink
semtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond reputesemtex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSlicks View Post
100% of the gas in the US has 10% ethanol, you've were using it for years down here. Modern cars are designed to handle the ethanol blend, the only time I've heard of problems has been with older cars where the lines weren't able to handle the ethanol content. Ethanol burns clean, I wouldn't expect any deposits unless the car is running excessively rich.
Good point. That makes me feel better about using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edconline View Post
Semtex - I am from Alberta as well (Edmonton) and I only fill with Shell V-Power. Even if there were any HP gains to be had from running 94 in the Z, I'd rather stick with the cleaner stuff. When I first got the car I read thru the owners manual and I seem to remember somewhere in there it saying not to use fuel with ethanol in the Z. (Could be mistaken, it was a while ago I read it)

I have read a lot of the same information you have, however I concluded that the benefits of Shell outweighed the small benefit of higher octane. I was told recently that even Shell will have to start adding ethanol to all their fuels by Jan 2012, not sure if this will come to pass.

Side note, why did you have to leave the Z in GA? Also, where in Alberta did you move to?
Are you taking into account though that one of the benefits of higher octane in my particular situation is that I can load in a more aggressive performance map via the Cobb AP? Without that option, I think I'd agree with you that the benefits are minimal. But for me at least, that ability to switch to a more aggressive map is a big factor in favor of going with a higher octane. Suddenly the benefits of higher octane don't seem so small (IMO). I left the Z in GA, and left GA in general, because of simultaneous job loss and divorce. I got laid off by IBM after working there for 10 years (my entire dept was offshored to Brazil and Argentina). Then a month later, my wife of 16 years decided she wanted a divorce. So with that double-kick in the nuts, I would have had to declare bankruptcy had I stayed and would have lost the Z either way. I'm in Calgary now, starting over. I did a stint up in Edmonton at U of A many years ago though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
This poll is missing the Unicorn Blood option.
You are absolutely correct! Now if I could just figure out how to edit the poll!

Last edited by semtex; 09-15-2011 at 11:08 AM.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote