View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #839 (permalink)
wind.zero
Enthusiast Member

Drives: NISMOSIS
wind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37drift View Post
How do you guys know that the gaskets are blowing out? CEL? Louder sound? Car acting funny?

Just curious.
This is my list on how I could tell the gaskets were blown:
  • Strange, raspy, rattling, whoosh exhaust notes directly under the driver/passenger. I have the OEM exhaust so it is really evident inside the car.
  • More pronounced smell of fuel/exhaust than normally with test pipes
  • SES - P2A03 and P0171
  • Poor fuel mileage, I checked on the 2 days I had a good seal and was getting at least 3 MPG better. I think this is what caused the P0171 to make the O2 sensor think I was running lean.
  • If you can get under the car, you can visually see the area of the leak (a very dark, black area) between the flanges. I could see a spot that appeared to be missing gasket material but it was actually burned all the way through.

My installer suggested this:
Add an exhaust gasket sealant in additional to new gaskets. Hopefully, this will do. If not, we can buy a sheet of metal exhaust gasket and get it cut out via WATERJET.

I am probably going to go the metal exhaust gasket fabrication route because I am guessing it will be the most durable in the long run.

Last edited by wind.zero; 09-14-2011 at 10:27 AM.
wind.zero is offline   Reply With Quote