View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 04:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hi-TecDesigns
Base Member

Drives: 370 Rdstr AT7 BkChry
Hi-TecDesigns is on a distinguished road

xiven, <chuckle> Yeah, kinda fat-fingered the keyboard there.

theDreamer, I read through the first half of the first thread you linked to. I'm a relatively savvy buyer. For the Cube, we took several test drives and gave several local dealerships the opportunity to earn our business. None had what we wanted on the lot, which meant they would need to get someone to drive it to them, losing the dealer holdback profit. It costs them roughly $200 to pay someone to go get a car, and as a business I honestly feel they deserve to make a profit. My best offer was $400 over invoice (plus their processing fees, usually $100-$150), which I felt gave them a few hundred dollars for very little work. All said 'no'.

So, I did some searching and found what I wanted 140 miles from here. I paid invoice for that one, so the dealership made holdback plus processing, and the local guys made zero. They lost out on any profit because they got greedy. The Cube don't stay on the lot very long (at least what we wanted), so I felt quite happy with invoice. I didn't know how long the Z's stayed on the lot, but one of the local guys said they don't sell many of them and they tend to sit. they have a Platinum that fits my description, but I'm considering four colors... platinum, red, black, and white. I really like the look of the yellow, but I've never been able to justify in my mind paying extra for a color.

I'll pay invoice for all packages and extras, not MSRP. The Touring model doesn't appear to offer me anything special enough to warrant the extra price tag (though why can't they put a CD player that handles MP3s in a $30k+ vehicle?! Even the Cube handles MP3s!).