View Single Post
Old 09-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #821 (permalink)
wind.zero
Enthusiast Member

Drives: NISMOSIS
wind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of lightwind.zero is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosstick View Post
Had this exact same problem with gasket.. iT GOT incinerated. I changed it but still got SES though

You might still have a leak if you are throwing the SES

First, I want to say that the customer support from Motordyne is fantastic. I had a leak from blown gaskets and they sent me replacements at no charge. I had them installed over the weekend. The difference was amazing but unfortunately short lived. I posted the picture of the blown gasket several posts back.
  • The fuel smell was gone
  • The SES was gone
  • The nasty, raspy, whooshing noise was gone
  • The exhaust note was almost stock, very quiet
  • Now all of that is back, keep reading ….

Granted, I am on the OEM NISMO exhaust, but I could hear a rattling, whoosh noise directly related to the amount of throttle applied. It was easy to identify once I knew what it sounded like. Having the car leak free enabled me to identify the leak sound. If I accelerate up to say 30-40 and shift to 5th/6th and floor it, I could easily hear the raspy leak. I thought that was just a test pipe noise but realized that was the exhaust leak.

Replacing the gaskets significantly quieted the exhaust. However, the new gaskets lasted about 72 hours. I have searched around and cannot find a metal based replacement. When I had a Random Technology HFC on another vehicle it came with metal based gaskets. I do not think these fiber based gaskets are working, but I cannot find a more suitable replacement. The same tuner (Jotech Motorsports) did the initial install and gasket replacement, so I do not think it is an installer issue. I am SC’ed but that should not increase exhaust temperature or otherwise compromise the gasket.

So, I am seriously considering going back to the OEM cats. Again, this is absolutely no slam on Motordyne. They produce a great product, but I think some applications need a more durable gasket. I cannot explain why the vast majority of Motordyne ART installs have no problem. The problem seems to be limited to a few buyers. I have no idea what the underlying problem is with the people experiencing the leak problem and then the SEL.

Just my experience and I want to keep the pipes but I need a gasket solution.
wind.zero is offline   Reply With Quote