View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
2fast4thelaw
Enthusiast Member

Drives: 09 370Z Sport/MT6
2fast4thelaw will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWYNBYZ View Post
The reason I suggested an amp the pushes 1000w is that it gives you headroom. As the previous poster stated, you can turn the gain down on the amp so that you don't over power the sub. In addition, that additional headroom equals less strain on the electrical system (because your not maxing out the power of the amp), decreases the heat generated by the amp and gives you the option to expand your system should you feel the need to in the future.

Headroom in an amp is like horsepower in a car, you can never have enough
I completely agree with that statement but here is where that school of thought goes very wrong.

I am not excluding myself in this pitfall;

You get used to your system and then after a while it just doesnt seem as loud. It exactly the same as getting used to the power of your car, you want more power so you mod it. Then you then start tweaking and playing with your system and before you know it your pushing the limits of your equipment.

Simply stated, It is purely human nature to want more. and especially more for less, or better yet, free!

Thats why I am more on the conservative side of the fence.