View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
ChrisSlicks
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 09 370Z Sport M6
ChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond reputeChrisSlicks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy'sz View Post
yeah I agree with that. Has anybody tried swapping out the spring on the mocal plate to allow for more a slight amount of more heat? My problem is i work nights so I see both sides of the coin where as most people drive during the day to and from work. I think its funny coolant only takes 2 minutes but oil seems forever. How much oil is on the dipstick at the high mark? The dealership filled it to that level and i thought it would be a great place to have it so I can track oil levels for issues like burn off. And you are right about that added quart.
There is a 200F degree spring available from Mocal as an alternate to the 180F spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattP725 View Post
I don't think anyone knows when it "starts" to open and close... it is a 180deg thermostat so I think Mocal would try to convince you that it simply opens around 180. I have heard they are surprisingly accurate though. Assume that you always have partial flow and somewhere between 175 and 185 you have full flow.

Maybe in CA 60 degrees sounds cold but in NJ that is pretty damn warm lol. I think the point is that even when the oil is at 40 degrees you can still drive it, just be easy on the motor until it warms up that way you can be sure to have efficient lubrication. Normal driving on an ice cold engine won't result in failure or excess wear on a newer car, just keep it rational until the temps rise.

Those cold weather packages are "generally" on diesels because they need a higher starting temp to get the engine fired up. The Z wouldn't really get much benefit from them (plus who wants an outlet coming out of the front of the car).
The Mocal always allows at least 10-20% flow to the cooler so in colder climates it can be impossible to get the oil temperature above 160F for months at a time unless you have long idle times. That is why many are using a block off plate for the winter.