View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
TWYNBYZ
Base Member

Drives: 2013 Pearl White GTR
TWYNBYZ will become famous soon enoughTWYNBYZ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4thelaw View Post
I have a JL HD900 amplifier driving my 13TW5 at 500 watts RMS and it rocks! Make sure your enclosure is sealed VERY well. The slightest air leak will dramatically reduce output and sound quality. When I first got it, It was ok but not what I was hoping for. I took my box out and I was inspecting the driver and pushing on it and I could hear air excaping. I sealed inside and all of the outside edges and seams with fiberglass. Back together and cone test. Ahh Sealed! I started playing it and I was floored! Not only was the bass crushingly low but the sub was crisp and tight. It sounded great! I am now adding some more insulation behind the panels and area around the box.

Long story short - 500W will do the job. I would not push this sub much past that, especially a JL HD amp. Any more power would simply exceed its mechanical limits.

This sub is very loud! and it kicks like a mule!
I bet your setups sounds awesome! Congrats!

However, I guarantee that your sub is not seeing 500 watts. It's maybe seeing 350 watts, tops. You have to remember that there are 4 additional channels being driven within the HD900. That has an impact on the amps ability to drive the sub channel. Also, as bigaudiofanat has stated, you'd have to adjust the gain on the amp and head unit to full tilt just to see that amount of power. At that point, the sound would more than likely distort and you'd probably end up damaging your speakers.

Like I said, I had the same amp as you. It was pushing JL separates (tweeters/mid bass) and two JL 8w3's in a sealed enclosure. Everything was processed through my Audison bit one. On many occasions, the amp would become exhausted and loose its musicality which resulted in a degradation of sound. If you play your music at reference levels (I believe most of us do), you will exhaust the power reserves of the HD900. That was my experience; however yours seems to be different.

To the OP - Per your post, you’re trying to decide between the Alpine M6 and the JL HD750. If you want to save some cash, go with the Alpine. I think that’s a smart move and is a good amp. By the way, what are you using to drive your front speakers?