View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
PaulZ370
Track Member

Drives: 011 370 BSM/T/SP/6MT
PaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud ofPaulZ370 has much to be proud of
Talking

I have the Stillen 19 Row Oil Cooler installed. I will not be tracking the car, just like yourself. I enjoy spirited driving, but not racing on the track - too much liability to take on myself without my Insurance Company backing me up. but I digress...

I live in Covington, Louisiana - a suburb of New Orleans (North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain), and right now in the morning, I am seeing ambients of 56 degrees. I drive about 7 miles to work, and that is NOT enough for my oil temps to climb to at least 180°F. I actually have to idle the car, and then drive in 4th or 5th gear just to keep the revs up to get the temps up... In my honest opinion, a 19 Row is more than you will need. I am already considering blanking the cooler up with some sort of plate so as to get my temps up in the cold weather. The "Sandwich plate" will come standard with the kit, so you'll have to install it anyways. I did not see an option for a thermostatic plate where I ordered mine, so getting one on your car may help in cold weather to get the temps up. That was a mistake I made and will have to live with it.

Oil - Change it at a reputable Mechanic shop, do not use the Quick Lube/Jiffy Lube, etc. I have heard and seen enough horror stories, I am sure you have as well. Use synthetic oil, and change every three months or 3000 miles with a good filter - a FRAM or a PureOne. That is cheap insurance. I really dont care to stretch the oil to its fullest. That's like burning a wire to save a fuse. I use 10w30 Valvoline Synthetic - about $29 for 5 Quarts at Walmart. The filter is about $6 or $7. Again, that is cheap insurance.

Hope this helps.

BD2ZBN :: 2011 BSM/TRG/SP/6MT/Stillen Oil Cooler/K&N CAI/Michelin PSS/Brake Light/EIBACH Sway Bars/FI Res. HFC+18" Res. CBE/Morimoto XB LED/DRLs/10mm Spacers
PaulZ370 is offline   Reply With Quote