View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Zaggeron
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '10 370ZR '13 BRZ
Zaggeron is a jewel in the roughZaggeron is a jewel in the roughZaggeron is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDriver View Post
I bought the 09 370z yesterday. This is my first "real" car after driving handed down 4x4 suvs and farm trucks.

I understand the oil temp issue, knew going in. I'm a recreational driver, not planning on taking the car to a track for anything serious or at all. Just enjoying the car on the streets. I'm seeing oil temps from 220-240 just driving around town and highway with ambient 60-70. Oil cooler is the top of the list, right up there with a radar detector to hopefully keep from paying the christmas bonuses for the troopers.

Questions- as a decidedly NOT diy kinda gal, anyone have a suggestions for where I could get an oil cooler installed in the Houston/College Station area? I'm leaning toward the smaller Stillen. Also- after seeing single digit days last winter, should I be putting in a sandwich plate even though this is a warm climate most of the year? Would that answer change if I were to move to a more temperate or cold climate?

Oil type-- Car was purchased used (25k miles). At that point is it a poor choice to change oil type? If not, what oil should I be running in it?

Also--- apologies if my clueless blonde shows through here, when getting an oil change how mindful should I be post-cooler install about a dealer or shop putting the correct amount of oil in it? Do I need to be more mindful of where I have my oil done? Good mechanic vs dealer vs jiffy lube and the like?

Apologies if this has been answered before, wasn't at all successful in searching.

Thanks in advance!

I'd get the oil changed first and then check what sort of temperatures you are reaching in normal driving conditions before springing for an oil cooler -- especially since you don't plan to track it or anything. Just changing the oil dropped my oil temps down from ~235 to just under 220 on my commute home (around 15 miles 1/2 highway) with temperatures in the triple digits. Note this was also a switch from regular oil to Mobil 1, but I'm guessing the lowered temperatures have more to do with the fresh oil then switching oil types ...

In general, I'd only really be concerned about 220-240 if I needed to go more than 3-4k between changes.