View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
roy'sz
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 2010 nissan 370z
roy'sz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDriver View Post
I bought the 09 370z yesterday. This is my first "real" car after driving handed down 4x4 suvs and farm trucks.

I understand the oil temp issue, knew going in. I'm a recreational driver, not planning on taking the car to a track for anything serious or at all. Just enjoying the car on the streets. I'm seeing oil temps from 220-240 just driving around town and highway with ambient 60-70. Oil cooler is the top of the list, right up there with a radar detector to hopefully keep from paying the christmas bonuses for the troopers.

Questions- as a decidedly NOT diy kinda gal, anyone have a suggestions for where I could get an oil cooler installed in the Houston/College Station area? I'm leaning toward the smaller Stillen. Also- after seeing single digit days last winter, should I be putting in a sandwich plate even though this is a warm climate most of the year? Would that answer change if I were to move to a more temperate or cold climate?

Oil type-- Car was purchased used (25k miles). At that point is it a poor choice to change oil type? If not, what oil should I be running in it?

Also--- apologies if my clueless blonde shows through here, when getting an oil change how mindful should I be post-cooler install about a dealer or shop putting the correct amount of oil in it? Do I need to be more mindful of where I have my oil done? Good mechanic vs dealer vs jiffy lube and the like?

Apologies if this has been answered before, wasn't at all successful in searching.

Thanks in advance!
I live here in cali and i see similar heat that you do and i can tell you that 220-240 is what i had before my cooler. The z1 kit is legit and the 25 row probably would be good without a thermo plate. I got a 34 from nissan north america and witht he ambient temp 63 outside my oil temp dropped to almost 155. I got the thermostatic plate and fittings on order so it will consistantly run at 180 at night. It won't affect it during the day as far as the thermostatic adapter plate. Definitely be more mindful of where and what type of oil you are throwing into this car. I use mobil 1 full synthetic and can tell the difference from that oil to nissans ester based. Not sure what im goin to do yet but from seeing 3k religious oil changes kinda frustrating. Oil cooler will help with the life of you oil, depending on how much you "get on" the throttle and toy around.
roy'sz is offline   Reply With Quote