View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
CZero
Base Member

Drives: 370z, 951, ST3
CZero is on a distinguished road
Default Clutch/transmission problems

So this morning I get in my car to drive to work and the clutch sinks to the floor and only comes back up maybe halfway. I check the fluid and it's fine.

I try to see if it will go into gear and with the engine off it works fine. With the engine running it will not.

The car would start to move if I pressed the shifter towards first until finally gained enough speed to engage fully.

As I drove it to the dealership it the clutch would not disengage. To shift I had to lift off the throttle and rev match the upshift to engage the next gear.

The entire time the pedal was halfway down and pretty useless. As time progressed the clutch pedal started to have an effect and would finally disengage and allow me to shift normally.

I bought the car with 13k miles a few months ago and currently have 30k. I commute roughly 120 miles a day and from a stop I rev to maybe 2k.

I don't abuse the clutch and yet the dealership (Baker Nissan) says it is the clutch because the fluid is at the appropriate level and the 370z transmission is "kind of weird like that; when the clutch gets low it won't let the gears engage"

Pretty much verbatim.
The thing is the clutch doesn't slip and had only a problem with disengaging, not with engaging.

Not here to knock anyone, but having been an aircraft mechanic for most of my professional career I would prefer something more technical and substantial.

As far as I can tell they just checked the fluid and assumed I abuse my clutch.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by CZero; 09-06-2011 at 01:32 PM.
CZero is offline   Reply With Quote