View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
pty370z
Track Member

Drives: over the speed limit
pty370z will become famous soon enoughpty370z will become famous soon enough
Default Weird Clutch Pedal Behavior - Please Help/Advise

Hey guys..

I'll try to make my story short, precise, and concise..

It was Sunday afternoon/evening, I was heading back home, no cars on the highway (OK, 1 or 2 cars..)

There was my Z boringly cruising at 55-60mph in 6th gear when I noticed she wanted to go a bit faster.. I downshifted to 3rd gear to get my revs up, synchro'ed, and ready to go, sprinted up to around 120mph (shifting upwards of course), and then let go to let the Z speed down..

I repeated this a couple of times (downshifting to 3rd gear at around 55-60mph) and then sprinted up again but only to around 100mph...

I ended up again in 6th gear.. Here's where it gets weird..

While on 6th gear, I notice the clutch pedal is extremely soft and easy to press and that it had lost the majority of the engagement.. However, I still had probably 2 inches of engagement that allowed me to upshift/downshift..

I continued driving as I didn't have anywhere to stop and went all the way to the toll booth on the highway (not a very long distance but a couple of miles though..) As I approached the toll booth and downshifted to 3rd, 2nd gear at lower speeds, the clutch pedal feel came back to normal...

I paid, started slowly driving away from the toll booth in first gear, then 2nd... All normal... I then started speeding up (carefully) all the way to around 60-70mph in 6th gear and the clutch pedal started acting weird again after a couple of minutes...

As I approached my exit I started going at slower speeds and clutch pedal feel came back to normal and during normal driving for the rest of the night it continued to work normal as if nothing happened...

This morning, also, all normal as if nothing happened...

My very own graphical explanation of this follows: (red color represents where the clutch pedal gets "harder" for engagement)

NORMAL
Pedal---------------Wall
|--------------------|

WTF
Pedal---------------Wall
|--------------------|

What could have caused this? Fluid boiling because of the aggressive driving? CSC?

Should I worry and get this checked by the dealer ASAP? I'm around 1,000 miles away from the next mileage dealer service. Could it wait til then?

I appreciate your input!
Exterior: INGS+1 * SEIBON * FUJIMURA * PW:JDM * UAM * KICS * VOLK

Last edited by pty370z; 09-05-2011 at 11:13 AM.
pty370z is offline   Reply With Quote