View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #51 (permalink)
Red__Zed
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: Mostly on two wheels
Red__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond reputeRed__Zed has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1600 View Post
wrx not so much, STI yes. Trust me, most WRXs (the older style) are slow at the track or autox. They all have your usual wheel/intake/chip/exhaust and coilovers on it, yet I rarely see one that is actually fast. We always laugh at them because most of those guys can spend the money and upgrade to a STI and be done with it. The handling difference is HUGE compare the two, also the older ones had a smaller 2 liter motor that was more prone to turbo lag. I am not a big fan of the new STIs anyway, too many blown motors I have personally seen (5 so far).

EVO is a much faster car, but uglier in my opinion.
Most of the guys you'll see out there don't have a clue how to drive. The Z has a very low percentage of "true enthusiasts," relative to say, the s....but percentage-wise, it blows Subaru out of the water. I've seen maybe one or two dudes that can actually drive them. Speaking for myself (at best, mediocre driver), I'm faster in the Subaru on tight stuff. Anything where you get much over 80, it's no contest though.

Swapping the rear sway makes all the difference in these cars. Unfortunately, most people blow their money on other stuff and overlook it (or can't do it because they run stock class), but the understeer is the defining characteristic of subarus....you can get it manageable with just that minor mod.

I think you might be overestimating the handling difference between the cars though. On road, with equal tires, they're about the same. The rear LSD and slightly stiffer suspension help a bit, but it is not some huge difference like it was in 04-05.

Agree that the Evo is faster, no question. Just can't bring myself to drive one.
Red__Zed is offline   Reply With Quote