View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #48 (permalink)
cossie1600
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: 370, Leaf
cossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond reputecossie1600 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red__Zed View Post
Makes sense.

This stuff always becomes a mess when you try to sort it out, since there are so many variables. I had my WRX, and STI, and my Z all on the same dyno within minutes of each other. The WRX is rated at 265 at the crank, and it was laying ~250 to the wheels. On the same dyno, the Z was dropping ~265. The STI made about 255, but the curve was significantly peakier, due to the different turbo they run on it. To me, it's more likely the WRX is underrated (especially since you can't really get away with overrating anymore). The cars just trap low for their power levels due to the huge amount of drivetrain loss.
I don't doubt you one bit. 265 seems low on the Z, but still within reasons as Nissan usually lose 16-20% from my prior experiences. The 250 seems slightly high as the car just isn't that fast for its power and weight, numbers don't add up. Judging from the trap speed and time, it is probably pulling 230-240, which is still more than the 260 that it is rated for. It is probably in between the 260-300 that hte STI is rated for at the engine.

Regardless, the WRX is not going to beat the Z at the track unless it is raining or snowing. It doesn't handle anywhere as good stock and it is down on power. It is not a bad car, just not at the same level. WRX=The Ultimate Plow Machine
cossie1600 is offline   Reply With Quote