View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #275 (permalink)
gurneyeagle
A True Z Fanatic

Drives: '18 Audi TT RS
gurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond reputegurneyeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default For the terminally OCD

Installed my by-pass harness last weekend and it works great. Thanks Brian!

While the console was disassembled, I also installed my GTR red start button. The metallic red really pops in the black interior.

While I love the functionality and fit of the third toggle switch, the fact that it's got a seat symbol on it kind of bothered my inner-OCD nerdness. Since the symbol is engraved in the switch, painting it isn't a solution. I looked for a decal that might work, but nothing is small enough that makes sense in the interior, plus a decal is not thick enough to cover the engraving.

Then it hit me. I just received my set of Z valve stem caps from the Z Store. The Z cap is simply a vinyl button glued to a generic chrome stem. The button is black with a chrome Z symbol.

It looked like a possible fit, so I took an exacto knife and carefully pried one of the buttons off the valve stem cap. Most of the adhesive seemed to come off with the cap.

I then carefully centered it on the switch and it almost completely covered the seat symbol. Just the very corner of the seat top (practically a dot) remained exposed. Unless you are staring down at the button looking for it, you would never see it. If you didn't know to look for it, you would never notice it.

So you end up with three switches - the outboard seat toggles, and the center toggle with a small chrome Z on it. It actually blends in well with the silver trim and the black interior.

If anyone is interested, I'll post some pictures this weekend.
Waiting on the Z35! SOLD - 2011 Gun Metallic Touring 7AT w Sports Pkg & Nav, Nismo Bumper and Rims, RC Grille, RC Brake Ducts, H&R Spacers, Painted Door Hdls, GTR Start Button, Nav By-Pass, EVO R Fog Light, CF Ducktail, CF Interior Trim

Last edited by gurneyeagle; 09-02-2011 at 11:50 AM.
gurneyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote