View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
nicknick
Enthusiast Member

Drives: Mazda mx5 2007 6sp m
nicknick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiz-n-herz View Post
This is a concern of mine as well. Not that I ever thought a car was an investment, but I was not prepared for the crappy Nissan resale value compared to BMW.

My 97 M3 dropped 30% in value after 3.5 years - not bad - even knowing that the e46 M3 would be out in 2001 (Details of which were fully disclosed years prior to it's release).

My 2007 350z value dropped 43% in less than two years - that's pretty disgusting if you ask me.

At the time, I was thinking I did the right thing by buying the best year of the z33 (HR engine). But looking back, I also bought towards the end of the model run. Now that the z34 is out, the z33 isn't worth sh!t. Too bad. So now I'd love to buy a z34, but I'd have to eat about $10k to get out from under my z33. Ugh!

So maybe with Nissans, you need to buy early in the model run to avoid the depreciation factor the next model will have on the existing model and dump it before the new model is out.
You don't buy cars to make money. They generally a depriating asset. Buy the car you love and look after it and enjoy.
nicknick is offline   Reply With Quote